Sunday 29 June 2014

Re-living an experience at Paulsens Hotel in Lyngdal

Adam from Visit Sørlandet visited Paulsens Hotel in Lyngdal and met a man who had stayed at the Hotel 40 years prior.



I had just spent the day at the American festival in Vane Farsund and booked a room at Paulsen's Hotel in Lyngdal because I had heard it is like taking a step back in time. An old English lord used to stay there in the 1800s and not much has changed since. Same wallpaper, signs and that nostalgic feeling that makes you smile.

After chatting to the owners Bent and Jimmi I met a man by the name of Kjell Skimmerland. It ends up that he was at the Hotel with his daughters, partner and friends.



Kjell: This is an amazing day. It is my 80th birthday and my partner and family organised a little surprise party here for me. You know I stayed overnight here over 40 years ago. 

I used to work as a salesman for a company that sold Norwegian seeds to farmers. I would travel over the whole country selling them and at the time, I was not supposed to stay in Lyngdal but something happened.



I was driving a car with another guy along the road when a large boulder came flying down the cliff next to the road and landed directly in front of us. I did what I could to try and avoid hitting it, but it was useless. We crashed into it and damaged the front of the car.



Luckily there was another car there with some other people we knew, so they gave us a lift into Lyngdal. We had no choice but to find a hotel, so we stayed at Paulsens.

I was very surprised when I walked into the hotel because it was like a hotel would have looked like in the 1800s. Even the staff, the Paulsen sisters, were dressed up in old clothing - it was a real treat. There were very friendly and a little shy.




After a couple of days, I got the car back from the workshop, so I could drive back to work again. 

I never forgot about the Hotel so when I found out we were staying here tonight, I was thrilled. Walking into the room again, I could remember the smell and experience from the last visit even though it was 40 years ago. The place looks exactly the same. Same tables, chairs, wallpaper but the owners have changed. Bent and Jimmi are very nice and friendly. We feel very welcome here.

(There was very old classic jazz playing in the background). I even remember the music that was playing last time I was here. It was Sinatra.




You know 40 years ago, Lyngdal was not even a town. Just a few stores and this Hotel, so the area looks completely different. The road that goes by the city centre of Lyngdal was the only road back then.

You can find more information about Paulsens Hotel in Lyngdal here.




Adam @ Visit Southern Norway Dra på ferie til Lyngdal





1 comment:

  1. Info is implausible, I would want to see more and more from your writers.
    printing

    ReplyDelete